For hundreds of years before the arrival of European settlers, the area from the northern Chesapeake Bay up to New York was home to the aggressive Susquehannock native tribes. In 1600 the population was estimated as high as 7,000. By 1700 war (mostly among other warring tribes), disease and tribe dispersement had devastated the population to a few hundred. The last remaining Susquehannock people were killed in a 1763 massacre.
English Discovery and Settlement
In 1608 Captain John Smith (of Pocahontas fame) left the settlement at Jamestown, VA to explore the Chesapeake Bay. Exploring the many tributaries of the bay, he discovered several rivers such as the Elk, Susquehanna, North East and Sassafras Rivers. He named the Willoughby River after his birthplace in England (noted as Willowbyes Flu), now known as the Bush River. The Bush River is a 19 mile long tributary to the Chesapeake Bay that traverses the Gunpowder Neck and Bush Neck peninsulas.
In 1659 the area of Old Baltimore on the Bush River became the de facto county seat of Baltimore. In 1674 a formal authorization declared Old Baltimore (part of present day APG) as the county seat and a court house was built. In 1687 the Old Post Road was built, now known as Route 7 or Philadelphia Rd. With improved land transportation the county seat was moved to the Gunpowder River fork in Joppa. By 1709 Joppatowne, with a population of 300, became the county seat. In 1773 Harford County was formed by splitting Baltimore County, and the Baltimore County seat was moved to Baltimore City and Harford’s county seat was established in Bush, aka Harford Town.
A rail line was built through the area in 1835 (now Amtrak) which improved commerce for the local agricultural economy. A small village was built around the Edgewood train station consisting of small shops and houses. The nearby rail bridge crossing the Gunpowder River in Edgewood-Magnolia was burned during the Civil War in 1864 by the Confederate Major Harry Gilmor, a Baltimore native. The crossing was later rebuilt.
Modern History, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Edgewood Arsenal
Edgewood and Aberdeen were primarily rural agricultural areas until the early 20th century. World War I brought an urgent need for chemical warfare research, testing and manufacturing, and a suitable location was immediately sought. With an act of congress on October 20, 1917, the U.S. Government took possession of the Gunpower Neck and Bush Neck peninsula areas now known as Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG). Check out the sites below for more information about APG.
Around 1939-1940 Route 40 (Pulaski Hwy) was built through Edgewood. This brought about new development centered around the interstate highway. Restaurants, hotels and commercial interests sprung up. The new 4-lane highway, coupled with the huge war effort during WWII, helped make the Aberdeen Proving Ground base a major center of research & development and troop training. Many dwellings and housing developments were built for the influx of military personnel, some of which are still in use today. The post-WW2 years brought continued development and growth.
The growing population needed quality schools for their children. Many of Edgewood’s schools were built during the 1950’s to 1960’s, which made Edgewood a prime area for large residential developments and shopping areas. In 1963 Interstate 95 opened up just north of Edgewood and Emmorton, creating a new explosion of suburban development. Today much of the land area has been or is being developed into residential neighborhoods, shopping centers, industrial centers and business parks. With little regard given to historical preservation, the few remaining historical sites are concentrated on Old Edgewood Road with a scattering in other areas including APG.
Edgewood Post Office 1943
El Dorado Motel
Pulaski Highway, Edgewood
“All Rooms Luxuriously Furnished in Modern Furniture, BeautyRest Mattresses and with rooms Completely Furnished by Modern House of Baltimore. Fire-Proof Construction with tile showers, Large rooms, cross ventilated. Finest anywhere!”
The motel was built in 1950. While the El Dorado Motel has long been closed, some of the buildings exist to this day. The north building is now the site of Giovanni’s Restaurant. The center building, which appears mostly as it did when it was built, is offices and a hair salon, and the south building is a liquor store (Brothers Beverage Exchange).
Rt 40 just north of Edgewood Road
According to county records the Motel Edgewood was built in 1953, 8,536 sq ft on 1.61 acre property. It is still standing and in use today. This old postcard shows what must have been quite a sign in the front of the Motel back in the 1950’s. That sign has been long been replaced.
Chase Manor Motel
Rt. 40 north of Edgewood Maryland
Just across from the Home Depot, just north of Edgewood, you will find the Motel Chase Manor. County records list it being built in 1950, 7,806 sq ft on 1.82 acre property. The motel is still open and operating.
information provided by: http://www.town.edgewood.md.us/